The BEST homemade gluten free pasta

  I am so damn excited right now!! Our two youngest sons are celiac and so am I so it made sense to switch the whole family over to gluten free. Its safer, healthier but as we all know...it's not always the most delicious. Breads and pasta just isn't the same without gluten...until now. Our son used to love ravioli and since being gluten free, has not been able to enjoy the goodness that is pasta. We have tried many GF pastas and I won't even eat them myself. ha! Part of the journey I am on is making everything homemade so naturally, pasta was on my list.
   This pasta has the consistency and texture you'd expect from a classic pasta with the benefits of being gluten (and soy) free. It's delicious, versatile and fairly easy. I do not have a pasta roller or cutter so if you don't either...then add time consuming to the list. But, I promise you - it is totally worth every single minute of it. It gives me such a great sense of joy to see my children love something safe and yummy, something I made with love. I will say...it does sting a bit more when the toddler throws some on the floor. Haha! This is just a base pasta recipe and the possibilities are endless! Today, I tried thin long noodles ..like a flat spaghetti, fettuccine, and ravioli's. They all turned out AMAZINGGGG!

Anyways, here is the recipe =) Let me know in the comments if you have questions or if you tried my recipe and what you think! What kind of noodles did you make?

Gluten Free Pasta

INGREDIENTS

2 cups gluten free flour blend (I love this flour because it already contains xanthan gum GF Flour )
4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon tapioca flour
2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks (tip: save the egg whites to seal ravioli if that is what you are making)
1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
1 tea salt (I use pink Himalayan)
1/2 c warm water plus more for mixing

DIRECTIONS

1. If you are using a food processor- place the flour, tapioca starch/flour, salt, olive oil, eggs and egg yolks, and pulse until combined. If you are not using a food processor (I didn't use a food processor and it was still fairly easy), sift together the dry ingredients then add the oil, eggs and egg yolks, and mix to combine well. Add 1/2 cup water, and mix or pulse until moistened. If you are struggling to get all of the dry ingredients mixed in, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time. At this point I found it easier to knead with my hands (tip: flour your hands for less stick) add more water slowly until pliable.

2. Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 equal parts. Cover three parts with plastic wrap to retain it's moisture. Knead the quarter of dough until smooth and then roll into a rectangle. I rolled mine as thin as I could possibly get it. When I felt it was thin enough, I made it a little thinner. It's trial and error. Make it as close to 1/8 inch thick as possible and as even as you can. Cut into shapes using a pasta machine or a sharp knife. 
  • 3. Bring a large pan of salted water to boil, drop in, cook 3-4 minutes or until your desired consistency stir and enjoy!! 
Ravioli: Roll out a long rectangle about 10 in by 5 in (this size can vary)
1/3c ricotta
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella chopped into 1/2 in cubes
2 tablespoons fresh Parmesan 
1 tea each oregano, parsley, marjoram 
1/2 tea of salt and a pinch of black pepper

Mix well, scoop small spoonfuls onto one edge of your dough and rub egg whites around the edges of your filling. You don't need much, just enough to seal your pasta. Fold the pasta over the filling and crimp edges using a fork. Using a sharp knife, separate your ravioli squares and crimp open side edges. This was the method I found to be easiest when you don't have Gordon Ramsey tools. Drop into the boiled water and cook as usual. 
  • See? So easy! You can make many different varieties of pasta without a machine. Fettuccine, ravioli, lasagna..but to be honest, it is very time consuming and right after having lunch yesterday I ordered a pasta machine. I will NEVER go back to weird tasting gluten free pasta from the store again! This pasta is simply THAT GOOD! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday on the Homestead - Covered in Shit

Raw Honey & Essential Oil Flock Healer